Saturday, March 16, 2013

What? It's over already?

I was disappointed the conclave didn't last longer. I was looking forward to days of watching black smoke rise above Vatican City, continued speculation on who would be the next leader of the Catholic Church. In the short few weeks since Pope Benedict resigned there was great hope through out the world the Cardinals would elect a younger man capable of leading the church into a new generation of enlightened practice.

At least that was a hope of mine. I knew better then to really believe that to happen.

As much as we may wish for the views of the Catholic Church to relent on certain issues, the conclusion must be made that important changes happen slowly (extremely slow for fast times we live in). I know my grandmother's generation will not take strides to bring the change needed to grow the churches following; their views haven't altered to reflect the changing times. My parents generation might see some new thoughts and practices, one small step at a time.

I predict it will be 40 to 60 years until any major changes come about within the Catholic Church. This is the amount of time it will take until my generation is old enough to be the leaders, and I am hoping they will be more open minded to moral practices and equal rights.

But I know the steps I would like to see happen will not move forward until my church is no longer exclusively lead by a group of men who are enforcing rules established well over 50 years ago. As frustrating as I may find it, small steps are first needed, many small steps...and maybe a good start would be in creating a more welcoming environment for females.

No comments:

Post a Comment