Saturday, February 23, 2013

What are you giving up?


It’s Lent. For those of you who are not Catholic, this doesn't have much effect for you. For those of us of the Catholic faith, this means we should abstain from eating meat on Fridays and should give something up for 40 days. Typically this “something” should be an object, activity, or food you think you cannot live without. I’m not a highly religious person; I attend church because I drive my grandmother and I find the environment soothing. I hold on to the notion there is a higher power, mainly because I like the idea.

I’m a bit late in choosing what it is I will give up, but I figure that’s okay, since in the time Lent has started and this point I have consciously refrained from the action I am to abstain from.

What have I given up? Dating.

Are you asking, “How can she give up dating?” I’m asking myself that same question. It is kind of counterproductive since I do want to eventually get married and have children, and dating is a major component to reaching that goal. But the whole process has become a chore, something I have to do, rather than fun and something I want to do.

Using Lent as an excuse, I am taking a mini break from dating. It’s exhausting dealing with online messages from guys you’re not really interested in, finding times to meet said guys, and then trying to come up with topics to keep conversation going. I am not going to miss dealing with any of that in the coming month. I'm rejoicing a little bit.

There is the thought that once you stop looking for something, that is when you find it. And it is a common saying people keep telling me, I will find love as soon as I am not looking for it. Do I believe this? Not necessarily. But even if this phrase proves to be true, my dream man will have to wait until after Easter to go out on a date with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment