Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Things that make me go "Huh?" ...in New Zealand

There are some things that make me take a second look, think a little harder, and plan just make me question why. My first “Huh?” moment in New Zealand came when I was getting a burger and fries for dinner and I wanted to, naturally, have ketchup with my fries. I am used to this being a freebee and a given at just about every eatery I’ve been to, so imagine my surprise when they wanted $1 for a small container of tomato sauce, and not even the good stuff, Heinz. After a couple different fry stops (because Hello my name is Marcie and I’m a fry-aholic) I found this to be the norm when in eatery after eatery I saw signs for ketchup or tomato sauce at various prices. I’m learning to enjoy my fries without the yummy red stuff. And to steal the small Heinz packets where I can.
On the flip side, the Kiwi’s are giving away aioli with just about everything. I had never heard of this mixture and was hesitant in wanting to try it once I found out it was a mayonnaise base. I’m not big on mayo on my…well anything. But I’m cool when it’s mixed with other ingredients or in something. Turns out this is actually a pretty tasty sauce, good on just about anything, so I understand why the Kiwi’s want this as oppose to tomato sauce.  
But I’m also wishing I packed a bottle of Heinz ketchup with me…

1 comment: